Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Life is like a Circus


Happy 2nd week of August.  We were lucky enough to have the circus come to our town last night and my daughter and I attended.  Now to say I LOVE the circus is a bit of an understatement.  I know it might seem corny, but the circus is a throwback to fun things from the past.  If you think about it the circus really hasn't changed much since long ago.  With the small exception of electricity basically all the acts are possibly very similar to those from long ago.

Now I'm all for the animals, we saw golden tigers, an African lion, a beautiful Clydesdale horse and a mini horse along with some adorable pooches doing tricks to meet our fancy.  Then came the unicyclists making it seem easy to balance on one wheel while doing tricks which included juggling fire.  Of course, the clown, Leo, was there to guide us along on our journey with laughter and having a few volunteers be part of the show.  But the one that I think stood out the most to me was the contortionist.  Now I'm super excited I can touch my toes while standing without having to bend my knees.  This young lady did things that made you think her bones where made of jelly and she did them with such ease that you almost thought, Hey I can do that! but then reality eventually set in and you applauded for the remarkable person that could pretzel herself inside out.

Flexibility is something that you have to slowing work your way into.  It definitely is a work little by little to your goal kind of thing.  Now I wasn't able to touch my toes before, mainly because there was a little more resistance in the middle area of my body that made it difficult.  But now I can touch my toes all day long if I wish.  But I know I cannot touch my toes from behind.  (see photos below)



This young lady didn't even break a sweat.  Now that is impressive, she was balancing on her one foot and elbows for long periods of time.  I do a plank for more than 2 minutes and I'm sweating like I'm in a sauna.

This is inspirational as well as awe inspiring.  I could never join the circus, number one because I have responsibilities here at home, number two I have no interesting talent of which I believe someone would pay a ticket for!  Maybe I could be a clown, but I hate putting on makeup in the morning now and all I do is eyeliner and mascara, so think maybe this is not my future career choice.

But going to the circus was fun.  It was a time to be entertained without gadgets or technology.  It was LIVE theater and there was a couple of death defying feats that made the whole crowd take collected inward breaths for only a second in case things were going to go awry.  But cheers when everything worked out.

Changing your lifestyle can be like a circus.  When you are in situations where there is tons of food, sweets and carbs and all those things you used to eat in bulk just laid out for your consumption, you feel like this is your death defying moment.  Can you just take a little or even just walk away?  Sometimes I hear the collected gasp of the crowd in my head when I don't indulge in that cake or in the ooey, gooey dessert that you know is only made once a year.  It's like being tightrope walker, some days you can cross the rope with no problem, then there are those days that you look down and it seems like it is an endless abyss with no safety net.  The lion roaring represents your stomach and mind on days when you used to eat because you were bored or stressed and to make that lion purr you would shove food mindlessly in your mouth even if you really weren't hungry.
The clown was the face I used to paint on myself showing happiness when maybe I really wasn't all that happy about where I was.
But luckily with a little will, I feel a bit like those beautiful circus horses with the feathers on their heads.  With their heads held high, prancing around like they know they are the hit of the center ring. Loving to be in the center ring, not caring one way or another if anyone is paying attention because they are just pretty happy to be.


I encourage you to be a circus horse.  Lift that head up and be proud of every single step you take to make yourself a better you.  Remember one brick is just a brick, but stack up many and you have a might wall.

So remember every step counts.  I have my good days and not so great.  But I make sure I get my workout in, even if it's just a quick jaunt around the block to get the blood pumping.  It costs nothing to take a walk and even Mother Nature if cooperating this week and giving us weather that is begging to be in.

Don't think about what can happen in a month or even a year.  Just focus on the next 24 hours in front of you and do what you can to get closet to where you want to be.  It's all up to YOU!

Be kind my friends and enjoy your week!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Ahead- SUCKS

I know the majority of you out there in blog land enjoy the changing of the seasons from winter to spring and you give me grief for my l...