Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Let Them Eat Cake As I watch them Eat Cake

Sorry for the delay in my posts, I was in sunny Arizona last week and was unable to give you your weekly dose of my witty world.

Cake, it should be good for you right.  It has eggs, flour, butter....these are ingredients from natural things, but you mix it all up and but on some frosting and somehow it becomes this delicious and sinful concoction that apparently in my case, makes my fat cells explode to unrealistic sizes.

To show my amount of will power, I sat in front of the following piece of cake and a glass of champagne (good stuff, not your HyVee brand) for 35 minutes during a banquet I was attending.  I was planning on refusing when the waiter brought it by, but unfortunately he was quick at hand and I was busy looking the opposite way talking and was distracted.  Now this piece of cake was only inches from my nose and I could smell it.... IT SMELLS WONDERFUL!!!!! and according to my table mates, it tasted heavenly good.  But a sweet man sitting next to me, whom I have the pleasure of working with and who knows my weight loss journey, leaned over to me and whispered with frosting on his lip, "It's not that good".  I told him he was sweet but a lousy liar.





Temptation is something I deal with often, not day to day as before, but here it was a special occasion, I could have had a bite and a sip of champagne, it wouldn't have killed me.  The food police wouldn't have come out and slapped on 10 pounds on my hips for defying my journey.  I wasn't going to go to food jail or be beat mercilessly by cooked spaghetti while being pelted by meatballs all while standing a big piece of garlic bread (can you tell I really miss pasta and bread)

As I sat there basically staring at this piece of cake it was like an old western showdown at sunset.  The cake was just egging me to eat it.  "One bite won't be the end of the world", I heard it say.  But I stood steadfast with my hands by my sides, trying not to draw my fork and take the first shot.  Those first few minutes weren't very eventful, but as 20 minutes went by, I was starting to negotiate with my inner self.  I could just take ONE bite, a tiny one.  I could do 10 more minutes on the treadmill and it would even out.  Don't be such a goody goody and take the leap into all those wonderful fluffy frosting and filling, just filling your nose with sinful delight.

The cake was smiling, thinking it was going to win this showdown.  It saw as my eyes turned glassy from staring at it.  It told me to draw.  Don't be a yellow bellied, lily livered chicken, I heard it say.  Pick up that fork and be a man! (Kind of a chauvinistic little piece of cake, but I got what it was saying to me)

At the 35 minute mark, I decided to make my move.  I put my hands on either side of the plate of the light and heavenly smelling piece of cake and I...........slide it to the middle of the table and got up and walked back to my room.

So in this particular showdown, Cake-zero, Sandy-One!  My will power overruled my brain.  Will I ever eat cake again!!!  I sure hope so.  It's has never been my plan to eliminate food, but to eat healthier and better, but I still have a stigma in my head and perhaps a fear that once I step off the wagon the first time, it will get easier and easier to do and before I know it I will be back to where I started and I really don't want to do that.

So that was my victory for the week.  May not seem like a big one to most, but to me it was like winning a gold medal.  I should have stood up and started singing the National Anthem.  I have my struggles, but I look at the big picture and I'm not perfect, in any way.  But I am committing 110% to my journey and it that means I have to give up a little cake, then so be it.

I don't win all my battles, but I was very proud of myself for winning this one.  So to all cake out there that seems to be looking to settle the score of their fallen comrade, who probably ended up being tossed into the garbage, bring it on!  I am ready to rumble!

Stay strong my friends, and remember if you slip today, there is always tomorrow to start anew.  Have a champagne wishes and cake dreams kind of week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Ahead- SUCKS

I know the majority of you out there in blog land enjoy the changing of the seasons from winter to spring and you give me grief for my l...